Thursday, October 7, 2010

Religion and Politics

So here we are day 2 of my blog and I am already getting into a topic that makes most people cringe or at least causes some definite controversy amongst friends and family members. I think that there is a fine line between church and state and when the church gets involved in what others want to do I feel like that is not supporting the God given right of free agency. I guess if you want to say that you will not allow gays into your church that is one thing but when people come out and protest something like gay marriage it really makes me stop and think. This country was founded on religious freedom yet there have been many persecutions after the fact. Religious freedom almost didn't happen for one religion. That same religion talks about free agency and the ability for people to choose what they want. Obviously you would like to see every person conform to your ideas and join your religion but in reality other people have different views just because they don't agree with your values, morals, or belief system they should still be protected under the same constitution that gave you the ability to worship how you want. I guess another right we have is freedom of assembly so it is alright to say that Gay marriage is wrong everyone is entitled to their own opinion but in reality why make choices for other people? Wasn't that Satan's plan he wanted to make sure that everyone got back to heaven and he wanted all the glory to go to him. How does it benefit or hurt the church if gay people want to get married that is the main question. Maybe I am going to hell for my opinion on this but it is how I feel right now.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're going to hell. :) If you are, I'm going down with you.

    Here's my taked (let's see if I can do this in less than ten sentences):

    Marriage is a religious institution. The unions of adults who have chosen to join their lives, responsibilities and fortunes together is a government institution (which we currently also call marriage). I believe every person (and every religion) should have the right to define marriage however they see fit. I believe that every responsible adult who would like to join in a "union" with another adult should be allowed to do so and receive the same rights within our government regardless of sexual identity. Therefore, I think laws should be established that separate the religious institution of marriage from the civil unions recognized by the state, protecting two things: the right to practice one's religion without government interference, and the right to create a civil union and be given equal benefits within the government as any other civil union. I want my religious rights to define marriage as I see fit protected, so it stands to reason that I should work to defend the religious rights of others to do the same. I want my union with my partner to be recognized by the government so that I can do things like: make health decisions for him if he can't do so, share health insurance, file our taxes jointly. That is important to me, so I think it is important to stand up for the rights of other adults to do the same.

    I did it! Less than ten!

    I think the reason that some churches have gone against gay marriage laws is that they do not protect the rights of religions to define marriage, instead opening up religions to sanctions for not allowing gay marriages to take place within their religion/churches/temples. I would hope that our religion would be supportive of a law like I described that creates protections for both religion and human rights to the same benefits under the law.

    ReplyDelete